Safyr Extractor/Browser for SAP metadata
This product will be of value if you are evaluating or implementing Collibra and need to provision metadata from your SAP Business Suite system into the Data Catalog. It will save time and cost when compared with traditional methods of achieving this and also improve accuracy.
The Safyr SAP Connector for Collibra Data Catalog works with any ABAP based SAP application. These include:
- SAP Business Suite software: This is a group of fully integrated applications which includes:
- SAP ERP
- SAP CRM
- SAP SCM
- SAP SRM
- SAP HR
- SAP MDG
- … and others in the Suite
- There are additional modules and industry specific applications which come under the SAP Business Suite product e.g.
- SAP Aerospace and Defence
- SAP Automotive
- SAP Consumer Products
- …Many more including any add on modules developed in ABAP by 3rd parties
- SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- For the products above the database platform on which they are running is immaterial. It can be Oracle, SQLServer, DB2 or SAP HANA
- SAP S/4HANA which is SAP’s next generation replacement for much of Business Suite. SAP is slowly replicating the functionality of their ERP system on this new platform. The metadata is accessed by Safyr in the same way as for other SAP products.
The challenge of SAP metadata
Safyr SAP Connector for Collibra Data Catalog will help you to solve the three main challenges presented by SAP Business Suite.
- Metadata discovery – the rich metadata in SAP (business names and descriptions, relationships between tables etc) is not available in the database system catalog. This means that scanning the database for table and column names and other useful metadata is not of any value. The metadata resides in a series of data dictionary tables in the application layer of the application.In addition most SAP implementations have been heavily customised to reflect the particular needs of the customer.This also means that approaches to metadata discovery using reference models or templates are of only limited value because it is difficult to identify what has been added or changed.This means it is important to get the metadata for Collibra Data Catalog from the SAP system’s data dictionary tables as implemented.
- Metadata analysis and scoping – The size of the SAP data model is presents a significant challenge for anyone wanting to identify which metadata is required for the Collibra Data Catalog. A typical SAP system may have over 90,000 tables and 1,000,000 attributes. It is unlikely that you will need to import all 90,000 tables worth of metadata into Data Catalog so it is important to be able to quickly and easily identify those that are relevant.Even if you were able to query the contents of the data dictionary tables and say, load them into a spreadsheet trying to navigate and search that to find what you need would be a significant challenge especially when try to find tables and their related tables.
- Delivering metadata to Collibra Data Catalog – The next challenge is to find a way to get that metadata in Collibra Data Catalog quickly, easily and most importantly accurately.
How the Safyr SAP Connector for Collibra Data Catalog help you to meet those challenges
- Metadata discovery – the Safyr SAP Connector attaches to the target SAP system and queries the data dictionary tables. From these it extracts the metadata including customisations and stores it in a Safyr repository. Metadata extracted includes technical and business names for tables, columns, views etc. From this information Safyr is able to identify all relationships between tables and build an searchable application hierarchy.
- Metadata scoping and analysis – the Safyr SAP Connector provides a range of search, navigation and analysis capabilities to allow those who are not SAP specialists to make sense of the SAP data landscape quickly identify the most relevant table sand related tables needed. The results of this analysis are saved in Safyr Subject Areas ready for use with Collibra.
- Metadata delivery – the Safyr SAP Connector includes an interface to Collibra Data Catalog. Relevant Subject Areas are selected for export to the Data Catalog and Safyr then automatically delivers these to Collibra.